Home Buying Checklist
Home Buying in Sarasota County, Florida - The Search
As your exclusive buyer agent for Venice Florida real estate, you can be assured that we will guide you step-by-step through the following home buying checklist, and do much of the legwork for you.
(1) Determine how much you can afford to pay for a new home. Your budget should include all home expenses: mortgage payment, insurance, taxes, utilities, maintenance
(2) Get pre-approved for a mortgage. If paying cash, assemble your "proof of funds." Pre-approval is required before submitting an offer. The strongest offers have the financing taken care of up-front.
(3) Determine what you want and need in your next home, make a list, and communicate this to us, your Exclusive Buyer's Agent (EBA).
(4) With the help of your EBA, determine your target neighborhood.
(5) With the help of your EBA, search our Multiple Listing Service. You can use our new and expanded search right on this site! We will also set up customized searches, based on your specific want/need criteria.
(6) When viewing properties, in addition to your own want/need criteria, here are some additional things to consider:
• Neighborhood Amenities & Convenience
• Are there any special assessments in this community?
• Are all utilities installed?
• Are there any environmental concerns or influences?
• Real Estate Taxes
• Ability to Finance and Insure Property
• Construction type: wood, block, etc.
• Overall Age and Condition of structure, walls, etc.
• Age & Condition of Roof, HVAC, Wiring, Plumbing, Appliances
Home Buying in Sarasota County, Florida - Making the Offer
As your exclusive buyer agent for Venice Florida real estate, we will help you write the strongest possible offer for the home, condo or real estate investment you want.
(1) Price is paramount in the negotiation. As your EBA, we will prepare a "comparative market analysis" to help determine a fair market price for the home. In this changing market, the sellers' list price is often far from what it should be.
(2) Find out the seller's motivation to sell. This is where an EBA in your corner can be invaluable. As your EBA for Venice real estate, we will uncover the following: why the seller is selling the property; when they need to move; whether they have already purchased another home; how much equity they have in the home; and how long the property has been on the market. Knowing the answers will help build your offer.
(3) The written offer will include not only the price you are willing to pay, but other details as well. This includes how you intend to finance the home, your down payment, who pays what closing costs, what inspections are performed, timetables, whether personal property is included in the purchase, terms of cancellation, any repairs you want performed, which professional services will be used, when you get physical possession of the property, and how to settle disputes should they occur.
Home Buying in Sarasota County, Florida - From the Offer to the Closing
As your exclusive buyer agent for Venice Florida real estate, we will represent you all the way through the closing. Here's what to expect once your offer is accepted.
(1) Deposit earnest monies in escrow.
(2) Get a professional home inspection. Consider getting specific inspections for structural engineering, roof, and termites. Use the inspection period to get estimates on home repairs needed, etc.
(3) If financing, a home appraisal is required. Consider this, even if paying cash.
(4) Use the appraisal and inspection reports to re-negotiate, if necessary.
(5) Complete the loan process with the lender. Consider points, interest rate, and obtain a lender's "good faith" estimate of your closing costs.
(6) Obtain insurance quotes and select a homeowner policy.
(7) Contact utility companies and arrange service.
(8) Do a walk-through prior to closing.
(9) Arrange closing cost funding; communicate to ensure that closing will occur on time.
You should review the closing statement at least a few days before closing, and arrange to bring a cashier's check or wire funds for closing to the Closing Agent or Attorney. Many buyers arrange to have closing done by mail-away, if they are not local buyers.